Sunday, August 31, 2014

Welcome back to the ME

Back now--wayyy better than I thought it would be. It would so good to see my friends again and meet the newbies! I flew in late on Saturday night and had to get up the next morning to go into work! The first week was just basically re-introductions to procedures and blah blah blah. We started working on our rooms and got them finished this week. I start with kids on Tuesday-crazy! The school seems a tad bit more together (but maybe because I'm used to it now, and when something happens, I'm like, "Whatever".). I feel really bad for the newbies and the shock we've put them through! hahah We all tried to sugarcoat it at first, but then we were like, "Yeah...sorry. This is actually how it is."
I have two new coworkers, one from Wales and one from America! It's so great to have new additions to the team that see where I'm coming from. The one from Wales plans literacy with me, so it's AMAZING. I can't tell you how great it is to not dread having a meeting with someone. We work quickly, and we understand each other. Pure dream. So everything was great, and then I got my real introduction back to the Middle East.
Yeah, the traffic's bad, and it's hot, and Sharjah's a little boring, but we knew all of this beforehand. This was something different. I went to get my driver's license at the traffic driving school place in Sharjah. I had to go during the work day last week. SIA (my school) has done this loads of times before. They had a bus driver take me, so it was just me and him in the bus. Weird. Then we get there, and we hand the papers to the guard at the door. He goes, "There are 3 papers you are missing. Your school did not give them to you." I was FUMING. Of course. OF COURSE!!!!! My school would MESS THIS UP, even though they've done this DOZENS of times before. We had to wait to get the school to FAX them to the place. Finally, we had all of the papers. I was still fuming. But why was I surprised? You'd think I'd have learned my lesson by now.
So then, I had to go into the Ladies' section to get my application. I had to get a ticket and wait. Of course. Waiting is like a pastime here in this place. The people are moving through all of the numbers, but before my number, there is a veryyyyyy long pause. They're speaking in Arabic, so to me it looks like they're just chatting and chilling. They are in part, but apparently the computer system broke down. Oh good! So the wait continues. I finally get called, and then I have to take my paper to another place in the building. I go there to wait. I have to pay a fee there (that the school didn't tell me about), so my bus driver had to pay for me. I go back to the Ladies' section. I wait again; the computer system still does not work. The IT guy is there, but in this country, the IT guy is a pointless job. They literally can fix nothing. My old number kept getting called because the screen was broken, so I kept going up and hopefully asking, "Is it me? My turn?"
Anyway, after about an hour of waiting, I get called up a few times and sent back to my seat a few times. The lady says to me the system is broken. She says all the other computers work now though, except mine. Hmm coincidence? Being thwarted at every turn? I think so.
AT LONG LAST, I am able to go to the next window to get my license printed. Took about 3 minutes there. Then DONE!
So, despite the issues that are common to the Middle East, I got my license! I am now a certified UAE driver for the next ten years! So after I come back to the US, if anyone ever wants to go back and visit the UAE, I'll be your driver. Got to get my money's worth, right?
Frustrations galore in this place! But you've got to just let things go...Tough skill to learn. :)
This past weekend we took the newbies out to their first brunch and had a great time on the dance floor! Saw pictures on facebook and one of me dancing near a guy who had a hat that said, "Sorry, I'm fresh." (Sighhhhh) I'm home. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment