Sunday, February 1, 2015

The Sand is Always Tanner and Freddy the Plant

Forgive my lengthy delay in writing a new post. Christmas was busy, and getting back into the swing of things has been quite an adjustment. But, it's official; it's been about 3 weeks since I've been back, and I'm no longer allowed to blame my laziness on jetlag or not being used to routine. :).

Over break, I realized that perhaps where I'm living is actually pretty cool. I found myself complaining to a bunch of US current residents in the middle of winter about how sometimes you get sick of the sun, and you just wish for a cloud in the sky or a rainy day. They scoffed at such ridiculousness, and I thought that, perhaps, the sand is always tanner on the other side. I did go to the beach the other day, and a tan in February is actually quite nice. But then, I find myself having a crush on my middle aged Al Mastabah restaurant man at the bottom of our building who I order wraps from. His name is Mostafa. That's when I know that things are getting bad out here.

It actually wasn't as difficult to come back as I expected. It was nice to see friends and to see the kids again (surprisingly). But...I spoke too soon. Last week we had the longest week of our lives. There was parents' meeting day which is an entire day lasting from 8 until 5. We meet with parents and blah blah blahed our faces off. Then, it was the class picture day where 85 percent of my students did not wear their regular school uniform because it was PE day, so I had to frantically retrieve 13 white uniform shirts that they could put on. They are year 3 students and they had to wear year 9 shirts, some of them. Utter disaster. That's when I slowly started to break down. Frenzy and Frazzle have become my middle names. After that, it was the Year 3 concert on Thursday, which we'd been preparing for since we returned. At our school, because it's high caliber (sarcasm), the teachers write the script and direct the play entirely. So, we have to use our teaching time to do so. The dance and music teacher prepare the songs and dances and help A LOT. So, our show this year was written by yours truly (I should start a new career), and it was about the seasons. Despite my concerns and my frenzied behavior on the day of the show, it went rather well. My students were rain because there are five classes and only five seasons. Their dance was to the Glee mashup of Rihanna's Umbrella song and Singin' in the Rain. It was awesome! I was so proud of them. Despite the fact that they make me want to go to an early grave, they actually mean so much to me that I almost cried when the music accidentally started without them being on stage yet! I so wanted them to enjoy their dance because they were excited about it! How much of a sap am I?! I'm turning into an old lady.
My roommate spent about a half hour in my room helping the kids with their costumes and makeup on the day of the concert, and when we were at home later, she told me, "Keri, I am so sorry. I could barely spend that half hour with your kids. How do you spend all day with them? As individuals, they're fine, but all together...no." THANK YOU! FINALLY SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS!! I'M NOT MENTAL! My students are enough to drive you to the madhouse. I was doing fine, but then with all of last week's stress, I'd just had enough. I bet they're tired of hearing my loud, yelling voice, and I worry about getting a saggy, wrinkly neck prematurely because I'm talking to them so much. Good grief.

So, we are doing a plants unit in science right now. We have our own seeds up on the window growing in plastic bags with paper towels. It's so nice to see how excited they get about something so little! I decided this year that I would buy a class plant from the grocery store. It's one of those generic green plants you can get anywhere. I don't actually know what it is. So, anyway, I arrived with the plant, and it was this big deal. I told them they could name him. The night before, I was lying in bed and feeling in my heart of hearts that, "Hmm... I don't know, but I think the kids will name him Freddy." Random thought, right? So, we proceed to create a list of names. My class thinks of the most strangely "normal" names like Steve and John and Cameron. Spike and Fluffy were also suggested. Weird. And, in a very strange yet dreamlike turn of events, Freddy was put forward!! And Freddy won! I told them about my feeling from the night before. "Guys, this is crazy, but I knew you would name him Freddy!" So, that is what life has been like in 3B at SIA. (Sharjah International Academy).

In other news, back to the grind of brunches, dance parties, and late nights out. I'm getting to that point where I get tired earlier than I used to, and so during the week, I'm very intense about my bed time. How sad. I should just stay home and do crossword puzzles forever, maybe. Looking forward to upcoming events such as a possible trip to Jordan to see Petra; a visit from my father and sister and bro-in law, and a spring break trip hopefully to Nepal! 5 more months left of this, people. Then, I'm back to the US.

Strangely enough, 7 people are leaving their contracts early or have left. SEVEN! That means that the school is so horrible, that people literally cannot stand to be there any longer then they have to. It seems to be a weekly occurrence where someone says, "Hey, we've got a runner!" A runner is defined as someone who leaves the school but does it suddenly, under the cover of night. We've just been told about one that left a week ago under the guise of a family member's death. Come on, that's terrible. And the others just hate it so much, they had to leave. So, the school may be literally falling apart from the inside out. All I can do is keep going with my mental case class and laugh at the ridiculousness of it all!! They are a fun bunch and as my friend the music teacher says, "Your kids are actually going to grow up to be really cool people. They're just in that terrible annoying stage right now." So, that's what's keeping me going. :). I've also purchased what I call a COMPLAINT JAR. On it is a picture of a cartoon face that is the same face that I make when students come to complain to me about their baby problems or walk up to me in the middle of class instead of raising their hand. So, students write their complaints and stuff them in the jar. The brilliant part is, is that I am unable to open the jar. It's actually a sealed tin. But, the kids don't know that. Mwahaha. Is that the definition of a bureaucratic government? Not sure. My roommate called me a Fascist Leader. Ah well, at least I am finally free of the world of "he pushed me and he said this and he won't let me play." I can sigh in relief. At least for now. One day, they'll find out I can't open the jar. Then, what shall I do? 

Off to bed now! I'll blog again sooner than the last time I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment