Yep, it appears one doesn't outgrow this feeling as one outgrows youth. I am currently experiencing symptoms of the deadly senioritis. It is May 25. School ends June 23. I am ready for it to be done. I am ready to be done with silly lesson plans and meeting about lesson plans and curriculum. I'm tired of dealing with children who sometimes act like they're fresh out of the insane asylum. I'm tired of giving my teacher look and saying "not the right thing." I'm tired of fighting against disorganization, laziness, and the desire to eat every treat that passes over my desk (and my goodness many do pass over it.). I am ready to lay down with no concerns, if even for a moment. I'm ready to not worry about why my one student can't remember to start a sentence with a capital letter! Ughhh...it's too much. It's time to be done. But nooooo, I must do as my parents say and "keep plugging away." I absolutely hate that phrase. It makes me almost want to cry because of how painful it is to keep going when you just feel like stopping and saying, "NO! No more!".
I am so ready to be back in the United States for a visit. I need to see greenery and feel cool breezes. I need to be able to go to the grocery store and actually find what I'm looking for. My parents will be thrilled--I want to do their grocery shopping and go hiking and go running with my Dad! (Who'd ever have thought I'd want to say those things??) Over here, we're trying to go out with a bang. This past weekend we went to the Justin Timberlake concert (a POOR substitute for me missing a good friend's wedding). But, the concert was awesome! We also have a day off today (we usually work Sundays), so that has been the icing on the cake.
Despite my excitement to return, I'm a little nervous to see how I act in small Lancaster County. Here, most people seem as if part of their brain is missing! I loathe people who move slowly, but don't worry everyone does that here. I've started huffing and puffing and making faces of frustration behind them! (Rude, I know). I might have said this before, but the automatic doors are actually slower here. That's because people don't arrive at the door quickly. They putz along, just strollin', and then the door opens. But, me, I rush to the door and then have to wait 3 seconds for it to open while I tap my foot and roll my eyes. I'm terrible. I'm also going to run to the dermatologist when I get home to see if there is any sun damage to my skin. I'm the freak that wears sunscreen like all the time. In every single place ever, people smoke. You cannot escape it! So, my lungs are black, my skin's getting old, I'm going crazy with slow people frustration, who knows what kind of monster I'll be like when I get back!
School is finishing up. This is the last week where we'll actually be teaching new content. Then it's all reviewing for the exam. I wrote the numeracy final exam. My co-workers wrote science and literacy. I'm really enjoying the feeling going in on my class right now. We all know each other so well, and it's so chill. I like to bring out my silly side, and many times I sit on a desk when we're having discussions or when I'm reading a story. It's great! I feel very comfortable with them, and now they know my "looks" so well that I can just send them a look, and they know I'm not happy. I'm surprised at the loving feeling I feel for each of my students! They may be the most insane people in the world, but we've come a long way together, and I will always remember them. They're sweet kids. I even love my bad kids so much! I love the kid who was the worst at the beginning of the year. The other teachers and kids tell me about things that he's done, but he's become such a sweet student!! He and I get along so well. And they give it to me straight. My one student (the most annoying one), told me, "Miss, why you wear your glasses today? You look much more beautiful when you do not wear your glasses." Yes, Yatrik, I know. But I didn't feel like giving an effort today. I would be APPALLED if anyone from home saw my school outfits. They are the UGLIEST things of all time. I wear the same 6 outfits. Long skirts, pilled shirts that look like crap, and I started wearing pencil skirts, but our vice principal said we have to stop wearing tight skirts because we live in Sharjah. So, there goes any hope of looking stylish at school :/.
Well, see you soon!! Can't wait to see you all.
Love, "black-lunged", frustrated, not-stylish-at-school, and sun damaged skin girl
No comments:
Post a Comment