Thursday, October 10, 2013

Eid Mubarek

The time has now come for our first vacation!!! We get 9 days off of work, and today was our last day before break. (Our weekend is Friday and Saturday in case you were unaware). This break is for Eid Al Adha which could be kind of compared to our Christmas, I guess. They make cards and bring in food and wear traditional clothing, etc. When you want to wish someone to have a good Eid, you say "Eid Mubarek". My lovely students taught me that. This morning, when all of the classes line up together for what we call "assembly", a woman sang some words from the Koran, and some year 8 girls did a little traditional dance for us in their traditional attire. I sat and watched and thought, "Yes, I am so glad I came here. You can't get this kind of cultural experience anywhere in Lanc!"

So, we started our day. I'm so glad it's break, because I'm getting a little tired, and the kids were starting to get to me. Why, oh why, can you not finish your homework? It was three questions. Literally. They respond, "I was too busy." I respond, "You're 8. What could you possibly be doing?" Needless to say, I can be a little sarcastic. I should probably consider toning that down.

I wanted it to be an easy day because we had a party later, so we played Shape Sudoku for part of math class because we're learning shapes, and we read books, etc. At 10, we had our party. I do not think I've ever eaten so much in my life. And if you know me, that's REALLY saying something. Each child brought something in. They brought things like: cases of dunkin donuts, pizzas, bags of chocolates, cookie tins, hot dogs, juice, chips. Anything you've ever wanted in your wildest dreams was there. There was a TON of stuff left over. We ate our way through that 40 minute period and watched Arthur and the Magic School Bus. I've introduced it to them, and they love it. So, the rest of the day wasn't super productive, but we did have another spelling test (Yes!) and did some reading groups. In another blog, I can give you an outline of what my day looks like. It probably doesn't look like what you'd find in a NORMAL school. This school is a little ridiculous. But, I digress.

I added some pictures of my class. In the waving one, you can see all of the food. It's crazy. And you can see kind of what my classroom looks like. In the other ones, the students were grouping shapes and making prefixes. I also added a video of shape drawing that we did one day. Enjoy! And Eid Mubarek!

1 comment:

  1. Love the pics of the class room Ker! Seems like you have very bright students;) And you will have to bring back some classic UAE food recipes to share with us. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete